Tuesday, July 9, 2013

4th of July Weekend Pt. II-Beach Day

The next day was just the most perfect beach day—so we headed to the beach! Rhode Islanders like to keep it simple and refer to the beaches in Newport as First Beach and Second Beach, I can dig that.
We headed to Second Beach to catch some rays. Growing up I never understood why my mom and sister enjoyed just lying there in the sun…the younger me always wanted to play in the water or build the best sand castle. Now that I am working full-time in an office, I completely understand. 
We goin' to da beach. Hehe. Sorry, Nick.
It was only a matter of time before the boys got bored and dragged my mom and I out deep into the ocean. Ok, I am being dramatic. I’m 5’3” and quickly I can’t reach, so that’s deep water for me. The water temperature was perfect. I am used to the luke warm water of the Gulf of Mexico and a lot of course seaweed (yuck). Second Beach didn’t have the nasty seaweed I am used to, so that was a pleasant surprise!

My main slice took a stab at surfing and returned frustrated. Apparently surfing is a lot harder than it looks.

Funny how laying in the sun all day can work up an appetite.Around 6 we packed up and went to Anthony’s Seafood in Middletown. We went based on a recommendation by my uncle but upon arrival we learned that this place has been on Food Network’s Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives! 


Rhode Island is known for the calamari and so is this place. Of course we had to try it. I promise I am not a huge food critic but I didn’t think it was that great. It was a little too chewy for me and lacked flavor. My main dish was Fish n Chips with fried cod. That was pretty yummy!
Later that night Nick and I took a trip across the $8 Bridge to Narragansett. The fact that it costs $4 both ways to cross that stupid thing blows my mind, but whatever. Our friend KJ used to go to RIT but transferred. He lives in Narragansett and he was around so we got to see him! We hung out on the top deck of The Coast Guard House. The Coast Guard House has a restaurant on the lower level but due to the damn it endured during Hurricane Sandy, it was still closed.
KJ & I
Can’t party like I used to and I’m only 21, sad day. Around 12:30 am we headed back to Portsmouth to call it a night.
Tomorrow is Part III- Martha’s Vineyard! 

Read More:
4th of July Weekend Pt. I- Rhode Island 

No comments:

Post a Comment