Thursday, June 27, 2013

Curly Girls, this is for you...

...and for everyone else, enjoy my awkward middle school life.


When I was just a babe I had some curls on my noggin (thanks, Mom) and as I got older those went away and I rocked some straight hair (thanks, Dad). A little thing called puberty happened and the curls returned (hi, Mom).

In elementary school my mom was lucky to get a brush through my hair. On the mornings my mom left before my dad that poor guy was stuck with a screaming 6 year old in a chair, tears rolling down her face because let’s face it, boys don’t know how to brush hair! Lucky for me my dad would just quit and send me to school with some knotty hair in a ponytail, but that’s what I wanted anyways.

Middle school was the age of the straightener. I got my first CHI from my hairstylist (at wholesale so I felt super awesome) and I got to straightening! Ladies, I know this was such an awkward time for you too. A trip down memory lane shall we?

  • I rocked every single jean skirt American Eagle had to offer
  • Phat Farms? Adidas? Anyone? Ew, why?
  • The tales of my mouth are for another time but let’s stick with the facts: a few grand have been invested into my mouth…this is inclusive of braces. So yes, braces.
  • Boys were just deciding that girls may be a good idea and our hormones were like what?
  • Puberty. Acne. Training bras.
  • Speaking of Puberty…huge hair change for this gal. That straight hair went to a curly/wavy mixture. A mixture composed of tighter curls on the top ranging to pin straight underneath.

During this time my mom—the curly headed goddess—took me under her wing and showed me the way.

I quickly learned to ditch the straightener. Every now and then is fine, but ladies if you have the natural wave, FLAUNT IT.

Here are a few things I have gathered over the years to keep your waves/curls lookin’ pristine and healthy:
  • Buy a diffuser. A diffuser is the best thing to ever happen to my head.
  • A curl CREAM, not gel (eww, crunchy much?)…keeps your hair soft, bouncy and shiny.
  • In addition to the cream try different brands of mouse. Be careful here though; try to find one with low alcohol content because it can dry the hell out of your hair. Throw the mouse on after your cream and before you diffuse.
  • Comb your hair in the shower! Or when you’re just out…basically just run a wide-tooth comb through it when it’s wet, NEVER DRY. Holy crap, if I had a dollar for every soul I have seen with massive frizz I would be $$$$$$$$$$. Anytime you brush your curls when its dry it pulls them, breaks them and frizzes them. Just don’t do it.
  • Let your hair be dirty on the weekend—or at least one day—that's how long I make it. Curly/wavy hair usually struggles on the moisture front and can tend to be dry and course. Letting your natural oil set in there for a tad is a major help.
I have some products for you that I have found success with. There is the “I’m in college and have a tiny budget” combo and a “cool, it’s summer and I am making $$$$ so I’m going to splurge” option.


College/Small Budget
Not Your Mother's Kinky Moves!
This stuff is gurrr-ate. Squeeze about a nickel or quarter (depending on how much hair you have) into your palms. Rub your hands together and then distribute in your wet hair. Do a little scrunch action to activate your curl. Can be found at Walmart for about $5, holla.

Dove's Amplifying Mousse
The cool thing about Dove is that there is a small info-graphic on the bottle that indicates the hold of the mousse. This one is smack in the middle and considered "flexible". Flexible means it will hold your curl but without the crunch...and that is key. After your cream has set in for about 5-10 minutes, mousse it up...well don't go crazy. Too much mousse can dry your hair. But you'll get the hang of it. You can find this guy at Wally World as well, yay America.

Treat ya self
Kevin Murphy's Motion Lotion
I could go on for DAYS about how much I love this stuff. I have been using it for about a year now and I don't plan on stopping. It's not $5 but it's that great...so if you come across some of this heavenly cream, do not hesitate to purchase. I'm from Austin so when I am home I buy mine from my closest Milk+Honey Salon. Otherwise check out KM's site and see where you can get yours.
Kevin Murphy's Body Builder
Ok...so I love KM, sue me. But honestly, this stuff is rockin'. Pair it with the Motion Lotion and you are golden. Learn more about it here. I will say, its a little different than your typical mousse. Use less than normal.

Shout out to all my girls with a little wave and a little curl (cheeeeesy, you love it though).

xo
Gab

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and am happy to find a fellow Rochester blogger! I have a crazy head of curly hair and every day is a battle. Not because it doesn't look decent, but because getting it to look decent is quite the chore. Can you say 20 minutes conditionering in the shower?

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know there are other Roc City bloggers out there!

    Oh for sure! Gotta hair mask it 1-2 times a month!

    ReplyDelete