Thursday, June 20, 2013

Hidden Gem

Rochester isn't always a glamorous place, especially when you’re a student at a university that makes you feel like you run 11 week long marathons three times a year. The winter is a time that that marathon is even more difficult, the thought of getting out of your cozy bed and having to drudge through the Lake Affect snow is just inconceivable.

I was excited when I found out that I would be staying in Rochester this summer for my internship for a few reasons, but mainly I could not wait to experience the season every Western New York-er LIVES for—summer.

When I first got to this strange Yankee-town I had been made fun of by my friends for not understanding why it is that people thrust themselves into the sun for some tanning at 70 degrees. As a Texan, I was still accustomed to the light zip-up jacket…because let’s be honest, 70 with a little wind can be chilly! Well three winters in and I GET IT. Sunny and 70 is optimal weather to throw your bathing suit on and lay your pasty winter-y white skin out.

Note: If you haven’t experienced a Western New York Winter, you should know that finally reaching a day where it’s the combination of warm and sunny is a long and treacherous road, sometimes winter doesn't like to fully go away until May.

So yesterday, as beautiful as a day as it was, we headed to Ontario Beach Park after work. It’s a miniature beach-y area on Lake Ontario just about 20 minutes away from where I live. It’s one of Rochester’s many hidden gems, especially one in which the weather Gods need to come together in order to form the perfect combination of sun and warmth to fully enjoy.

Watching the pup play in the sand and enjoying one of Rochester’s finer moments was an awesome way to spend a random Tuesday night. I expect a lot more of these week-day trips to come!



Meet Olive. She's wondrous. We can talk more about her later!....and I guess the man in the white hat too ;)


1 comment:

  1. Wow Ontario Beach Park looks like a rare gem indeed, I think I could relax there for hours. We here in the UK don't really get the luxury of sun or heat on a regular basis lol but I think I understand where your coming from.

    p.s Olive is gorgeous, she looks so fluffy and cute

    ReplyDelete